KPARC’s Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (VEC): Bob Fauci, N1UVO
Before you can get on the air, you need to be licensed and know the rules to operate legally. US licenses are good for 10 years before renewal and anyone may hold one except a representative of a foreign government. In the US there are three license classes—Technician, General and Extra.
If you wish to join the Kings Point Amateur Radio Club as a new member, and you pass your exam as a first time ham at a KPARC exam session we will waive the initial membership fee. (Details)
Scheduled Exam Sessions
On the 3rd Saturday of each month @ 09.00 KPARC offers exam sessions for all classes of Amateur Radio Licenses. These sessions are by reservation only and you must register to obtain a place.
Below are the four steps you need to ensure your exam session goes without a hitch.
- Obtain you FRN ID
- Register for an exam session
- What to bring to the session
- Electronically complete the FCC Form 605
Step 1. Register for an FCC Registration Number (FRN)
The FRN is a unique identifying number that may be initially obtained over the Internet through the Commission Registration System (CORES). The FRN will be used by all Commission financial, authorization of service, and enforcement systems including Amateur Radio applications. CORES will continue to be the central repository for basic licensee information.
What information do I need to provide to get an FCC Registration Number (FRN)?
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). For individuals this is a Social Security Number and for businesses this is an Employer Identification Number
- The name of the individual or business
- Type of business
- Contact information
- Password: A password must be at least 6 characters and must include three of the four character types: (Don’t forget to make note of your password)
- Uppercase letters (A, B, C, etc)
- Lowercase letters (a, b, c, etc)
- Special characters (~, !, @, etc)
- Numbers (1, 2, 3, etc)
- Personal Security Question (PSQ) and answer: Your PSQ and answer is not case sensitive.
Step 2. Exam Session Registration
Step 3. What to bring for the Exam
- A photo ID. (Note: Children without photo IDs may be tested providing that they can prove their identity to the satisfaction of the LARC VEC Team Leader.)
- An official copy of your current, signed, amateur radio operator’s license. (If you are currently licensed)
- The original and a copy of any document(s) for which you want to use as element credit.
- $15.00 fee
- Pencils, Erasers, Blank Notepaper
- Non-memory calculator
Please ensure you electronically complete the attached FCC Form 605 and bring the complete printed version with you to the exam session. To ensure legibility please complete this form on your computer rather than by hand.
DO NOT SIGN AHEAD OF TIME – You must sign and date this document at the exam site witnessed by the VEC.
Bring a printed & completed but un-signed 605 with you.
Direction to the Club
- Take the Sun City Center (674) exit off I-75 heading East
- Approximately 1 mile from the highway will be the entrance to Kings Point (Kings Blvd.) on the right
- Stay to the right as you proceed down Kings Blvd. and follow the Visitors lane at the security gate
- Tell the Security Team you are visiting the Kings Point Radio Club to take an exam
- Take the right turn right after the check-point then another right turn at Clubhouse Dr.
- Park in the lot at the corner as you proceed straight on Clubhouse Dr.
- Use the entrance to the Club as the end of the building on Clubhouse Dr.